Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lessons for Gardening on a Balcony...

This is my fourth (can you believe it?) summer in my condo, and thus my fourth try at planting things on my balcony. I'd like to believe that I've learned a few things along the way...
  1. It is better to perform the actual potting of your plants somewhere other than on your balcony. It will make your downstairs neighbor much happier. Plus you don't have to haul huge bags of dirt up the stairs and through your living room.
  2. There isn't enough room on a balcony (or, at least, on my balcony) to plant a vegetable garden. In other words, you can't grow enough green beans in a planter box to make it worth your while. Same thing goes for carrots...
  3. It is best to carry full planters by the bottom when transporting them across your living room. (Ok, I didn't actually learn this the hard way, but the thought did occur to me this year as I was hauling full planters up the stairs and through the living room to the balcony. The last thing I want is the little bottom tray popping off and scattering dirt and stuff all over the carpet.)
  4. Just because a plant is listed as "full sun" does not mean that it is qualified for balcony life. Particularly if said balcony does not come equipped with a hose. If the instructions for the plant call for watering everyday until water runs out the bottom, just walk away. Unless you really think you'll enjoy hauling gallons of water from the kitchen to the balcony every day.
That said, my Portulaca's are doing nicely this year. I'll post some pictures once they have a chance to really start blooming.

No comments: