Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Why I like San Francisco, part 2

It's been a busy week, what with going to class all day (ok, most of the day) and then spending all evening working my way through my list of tourist activities.

On Sunday, Erin and her boyfriend took me to dinner at The Stinking Rose. Then we walked back through Chinatown and got fried sesame things with bean paste for dessert.



I took some pictures of the hotel lobby while I was waiting for them. Isn't it stylish?



Monday after class I took the cable cars (after a few misdirections, the streets here are confusing) to Grace Cathedral, which came highly recommended.





It was beautiful and awe inspiring and I only took pictures outside. But they have some amazing doors. See?


They also had some beautiful flowers.


From Grace Cathedral I walked down the hill to catch a cable car

and rode it to Ghirardelli Square,



which is on the bay. I took pictures.


I saw my first palm tree of the week. Or, at least, the first one that I noticed.


I shopped and ate samples and bought a tasty cupcake.


I decided to take the cable car back up to Lombard Street. But the line was very long. Remembering that the guidebook had said that it was quicker to get on at a stop further up the hill, I started walking. I thought a cable car would catch up with me. I stopped after a few blocks and took a picture of Alcatraz.



Then I kept walking. The cable car never caught up with me. The map made it look like a short walk. It was not. See? That stuff way at the bottom of the hill by the water is where I started walking. :)



There were lots of cars lined up for their turn to drive down "The Crookedest Street". I decided to walk down the hill to get the full experience.


Then I kept walking to the next cable car line to go back to the hotel.

1 comment:

brooke t. higgins said...

Awesome pictures... looks like you're having a great time!!

(Those are some really cool doors.)